Sunday, April 6, 2014

Let's Catch Up!!

Hello All,

Well I decided I should probably just start a blog instead of bugging others on Facebook and Instagram with all my #pregnancy, crossfitting and #nutrition posts. Let's be honest, over posters annoy all! So my goal here - just to rant about all the new things going on in life with my first pregnancy. I hope I can give some insight to others as well as my knowledge as a CrossFit/Olympic Lifting coach and Nutrition. I am by no means a complete expert but I do have several years of experience in both coaching and nutrition.

ALWAYS check with your doctors and healthcare professionals before doing or starting anything!!!

So let's catch up - I am officially 13 weeks pregnant. I truly have been extremely lucky thus far. I've had no morning sickness and have basically continued with life as before. Minor things like regular headaches, fatigue and maybe the occasional nauseous
feeling but really that is it.

I found out I was pregnant on 2/17 at 6 weeks. Of course 2 weeks out before our true CrossFit "season" starts. I immediately asked - "So can I still workout as I have been doing?" My initial doctor said yes. That weekend I went and competed in the Winter Shakedown, we placed 5th and I was very happy about that. It was then I decided I would continue with the open and not tell anyone at my gym especially my fellow teammates. We all worked hard this past year and I didn't want anyone to get sidetracked by the possibility of not having a team any longer. So I kept my pregnancy under wraps with the exception of a few people. As time went on during the open, I was doing great but I could tell I wasn't moving as fast as I normally did even though I felt as though I was. The first 3 weeks I did well and was sitting in 45th place then a more metcon based type #wod came in 14.4 and my ranking fell. I still managed to do 2 muscle ups but that was below the average. 14.5 was even worse. I ended the season in 74th place. Not bad for a pregnant person right? I still felt like I failed but then realized that although I was still moving fast - it was at about 80% of what I normally move at primarily in metcon type workouts.

During the first few weeks I did some extensive research trying to see what was out there for people in my similar situation. I didn't come across too many competitive crossfit athletes but there were some. Lisa Theil, Heather Buergeron and Lindsey Smith (games athletes). Granted I am no games athlete but I have gone to regionals the last two years in SoCal so maybe I am not at their caliber but in a similar mindset. I read up on some of their posts as well as another fellow crossfitter Danielle Adams. All had some good information but nothing specific enough for me to know "How do I scale?"  Well truth is - it's different for everyone. First, listen to your body. You are the only one who knows it best. Two, don't try new things you don't already do. Three, trial and possible error. Stop if something feels weird or funny.

I was on a mission - I continued my research. I've read up on several competitive athletes and their training while pregnant. I found a Nurse Practitioner that specializes in Sports and works with other athletes in dance, running and basketball. She has truly been my lifesaver in making me feel okay about what I am doing and not listening to the others with their old ways of thinking. She gave me a sense of peace and I check in with her weekly. She gave me exactly what I need to look for and how to be cautious. I will share more of that later. (This is supposed to be my first post and just a catch up).

At 13 weeks my squatting and #deadlifts are at about 80-85% of my 1rm in working sets. I'm not wearing my weightbelt anymore and I'm not looking to pr any of my squats at the moment. Shoulder to overhead weights I'm still going as I normally would I do notice that at 155lb it seems more difficult that it had but again not wearing my weightbelt so that may have something to do with it. I hit 155lb Overhead squat this week and it felt great. My metcon is wear I notice a difference - my work capacity is just slower. I would gauge me at about 80% of my normal speed. I can still do handstand pushups, muscle ups, chest to bar pull ups and GHD's. Muscle ups will probably be the first to go. I can still do handstand push ups without getting dizzy - I just do smaller working sets and aren't going for 20 unbroken. I'm keeping it around 10 then decreasing to 5 reps if needed.

As it stands we wait to see if after two of our girls from RXD go individual will CF RXD qualify a team for regionals. I am still training as though I may go. I will be about 20 weeks by then and probably 4lbs heavier so we shall see. It depends on the type of workouts released as well as if our 4th or 5th string girls can beat my 80% self. There are a lot of variables when I say this. I will take it day by day, week by week and see how it all goes and feels. I can assure everyone - I won't do anything that will hurt the baby or myself and I have a great medical support team as well as friends and family to look our for me.

Nutrition - ok enough about CrossFit right??! So before I got pregnant I was approximately 80-90% paleo and still had some dairy (competition season 95%). These days I'm closer to 70% compliant. Really the only difference is I allow some more cheat "treats" I'm not as strict when I go out to eat and I have the occasional Ezekiel bread or bread roll at lunch. The only dairy I had before was heavy cream for my coffee. I now will have some whole milk with my protein shakes, maybe a 1/2 cup of full fat greek yogurt and some feta cheese sprinkled in a salad or something similar. An average day for me consists of

Wake up:

12 oz unsweetened almondmilk 4oz whole milk mixed with some Forza Pro protein.
Coffee with heavy cream and stevia

10am:
2 organic eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 pieces if uncurred no preservatives bacon
1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1 cup berries or 1/4 cup Tzatztiki yogurt sauce with 5 mini peppers

2pm:
Kale Salad with 1 hardboiled egg, 1/3 avocado, sprinkled feta and 2 tbsp of homemade dressing (olive oil, dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar)
6-8oz of meat

4:30pm:
Orange

9pm:
6-8oz of meat (this past week I made trout a couple of nights) but it varies and depends on what I am in the mood for.
2 cups of cauliflower mash.

11:30pm:
Another protein shake just like in the morning.

Now this is an average day when I don't go out to eat for lunch or dinner. This is what most days look like or a variation. The only thing I can't really seem to stomach these days is Chicken. I am not sure why but really can't eat it. I just get grossed out. I used to be able to cook something in the crockpot and eat it for a few day, I can't seem to do that right now either. I am having to get creative but on a time crunch.

I will be happy to answer any questions anyone posts. I will keep my future posts more specific. It could be about the workouts I do or what I cook for the week with recipes and some pictures. I will post links to articles that I have read regarding other competitive athletes and other professional websites with insight, guidance and help.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy reading. I will get some baby bump pics when I have them and anything else I feel like ranting about when I post a blog like how gigantic my boobs are already getting!

Melisa

3 comments: